Sunday, February 3, 2008

Ethos, Pathos, Logos...

What I read for my persuasion blog can be found here. It wasn't so much an article but a debate website in which you can see what people are arguing about and take part and put in your two cents. Obviously when you are you are trying to convince someone of something. To do you you should use persuasive techniques such as ethos, pathos, and logos. Now, I do believe in religion, but if I were a person looking to be convinced that religion is good and I looked at this article, then I would have been convinced that religion is more bad than good. The arguments that were saying that religion was more good than bad were weak. They tried to use logos by saying that if it were not for religion, then technology would not have come as far along as it has. Well, that argument didn't speak to me. The other side of the coin was that religion is more bad than good. Advocates of the "more bad than good" argument use pathos to convince me and they do a much better job by telling me about a kid who is being sentenced to death because of religion. Proper use of ethos, pathos, and logos really does make a difference in persuading.

No comments: