Sunday, April 13, 2008

Distracting Ethics

Evidently, ethical problems in companies cause pretty big problems with productivity. I never knew they were that big of a deal. I guess because i haven't actually been exposed to corporate ethical problems I can't really know how I would react. Well, first thing is first, that article was full with statistics. I know that these statistics are meant to help the reader understand what how big of a problem this is, but I found them very confusing. I mean, they're saying that 36% of people find ethical problems in the office distracting, and of these 36%, one in three don't want to report them. Also, of those that find it distracting, they tell, on average, 48% tell 8 people. Of those 8 people, on average, 3 become distracted as well. I mean, seriously? I think they could have found a better way to show the numbers. Any who, I think that the problem could be handled when employees come into the company. The company should enlighten the green horns as to what to do if they encounter such a problem. At the same time, however, the company has to act on what it says, it can't just tell people what to do and when they do it the company do nothing. They can have a third party deal with these reports as well. The third party can be neutral and unbiased. They can look at the problem objectively and deal with it in a satisfactory manner.

No comments: